Skip to main content

tv   New Day Sunday  CNN  January 22, 2017 3:00am-4:01am PST

3:00 am
you totally nailed that buddy. simple. don't let directv now limit your entertainment. only xfinity gives you more to stream to any screen. welcome to sunday, bright and early, 6:00 -- well, maybe not bright. but it will be soon, promise. i am christi paul. >> i am victor blackwell. and netanyahu has promised to call and discuss iran. there are just two members that have been confirmed thus far, and you have see them there on
3:01 am
the left, and this is a historically low number as we kick off the first day of the presidency. >> and yeah, in '09 there were seven members that had been approved. pompeo is tomorrow, and more than 1 million people marched in washington and cities around the country in solidarity for women's rights and other important issues. oh, the panel we have today. we're going to hear an ear full. cnn correspondent, athena jones, and scott boldman, and cnn political commentators jeffrey lord, maria cardona. >> what has made the most news in the last 24 hours, the president going to langley and
3:02 am
speaking to the intelligence community, and this was his first visit as president. didn't exactly do that from some perfectives. >> i would say he didn't. seemed as though the vice president was trying to lay the ground work, and then it was sort of introducing the president and then the president came on and he talked about a lot of things you would not expect him to talk about, and for one thing he said he was with the intelligence community 1,000 present, and accused the media for what he said about the intel community, which is not true, and he said the media was some of the most dishonest humans on the earth, and then he talked about the attendance, and it was clear he was talking
3:03 am
about what had nothing to do with the intelligence. >> before we get to the media, because we have time to talk about that, and when the president goes there and says the media invented this feud between himself and the intelligence community, that's not true, and why didn't he own up to that and apologize? >> three years ago i had a conversation with him in which he said to me, more or less what he said to the cia, he really does believe that the media is dishonest. he gave me chapter and verse three years ago. so i am suggesting to you that this is a fundamental core belief with him here. >> there's a difference between what he believes and what is true. >> look, and -- >> there are tweets that we put out there, we don't superimpose it over him. >> i understand, but everything is context.
3:04 am
here's a guy who is, if you will, to use old-fashioned terminology, a hawk, right, and this is somebody that believes in the military and the intelligence community and all sorts of things as a precursor to an american strength in the world, so for him to pick a fight, he was mad about classified leaked information, and i said, and -- mark is shaking his head, and we have spent a lot of time discussing this, and this is how the city operates, on leaks. the problem here is this is the intelligence community, and peoples' lives are at stake here, and he gets angry, and he should when intelligence information is leaked out that is not true, right? he gets upset. and one other thing, he's the new boss, right? these are his employees. this is something he has done a thousand time in his life is sit down with a new employee and try
3:05 am
to bond and establish a relationship, and that's what he was trying to do yesterday, and i get upset when this happens to let him know what kind of person he is. >> usually you don't have to bond with a new employee after you invoked nazi -- >> as a new boss, as somebody who has been a boss for a long time i am certain that one of his things is igniting a fire under his employees and making them think, hey, i better pay attention to the new guy, or, you know, i am in trouble. >> maria, you are shaking your head? >> those employees at the cia have whiplash as the rest of the country, and i feel bad for my friend, jeffrey, you did a good job, but the fact of the matter is we know two things rate now, and some people talked about wanting to have a pivot from this now president that will become more presidential, and we
3:06 am
will never get that, number one. number two, he was the candidate that was the candidate that has lied the most in modern history. during the campaign -- >> except for hillary clinton. >> no, not except for hillary clinton. again, that's just a fact that donald trump has lied the most of any candidate in modern history, period. that's not going to change either. i think the american people are in for the ride of their life and it's not going to be a fun one and it's not going to be a good one when you have the president of the united states that doesn't believe in facts or truth and even those his own employees under the bus on one day and then the next day says i am with you 1,000%. how are they supposed to do their job under those circumstances? it's painful. >> i saw you take two or three breaths over there. >> i like maria, but what you are saying is untrue.
3:07 am
>> i have facts behind me. >> jobs are going to be coming back to the country. >> why didn't he talk about yesterday? that's what he should have talked about yesterday. >> what we forget is that president trump is somebody like we have never seen as it relates to the media, and more importantly, mark, he knows the people. this whole entire campaign, he always talked to the people. i was out there on the mall and people recognized me from being on cnn, and i love cnn and i think the reporting you do is excellent but the people have a different opinion and mr. trump, the president of the united states knows that, so when he is messaging, and what is the strategy, the strategy is to say i am with you and support you and it's not me, it's the media, and they are the ones who are manipulating what i say against you, and i am with you -- >> but that's just an out right lie. >> it's not a lie. >> it's not a lie. >> scott, go ahead.
3:08 am
>> donald trump drives every part and every inch of this narrative. take the cia, for example, he tweeted before the leak about the russian hacking and whether it had an impact on his election or not, and he has to go to the cia first to apologize, essentially, without apologizing. why is that his first step? because he offended all of them, and he spoke in front of the wall of honor which is highly outrageous, and he drives this narrative and apologizes for the narrative. do we believe donald trump on his twitter or what he says on the teleprompter or what he is rambling in his speech? it's very confusing. >> mark, paris said he understands the media and he would have to, after, coming down the escalator in the summer of 2015, and by going there and saying all the things that has
3:09 am
nothing to do with the cia, that would truly be the focus. >> he only understands half of it, and he understands the manipulation of the media, no question about that, and he does understand marketing values, no question about that, and the problem for donald trump is that he looks inward and not outward on everything, and what we saw from his inauguration speech to his actions yesterday is that he didn't take the opportunity to try to calm fears from those who don't support him. there's been a lot of talk, should have donald trump gone out and talked to the protesters, and had i been advising him, absolutely not. they were not there to hear from donald trump, and they were there to talk amongst themselves for donald trump, and donald trump yesterday -- what he did yesterday and why we are talking about this today is he created his own situation, and often
3:10 am
time his thin skinnedness is really going to be an issue in his presidency. >> donald trump, as you mentioned and you mentioned earlier, he is used to protecting his brand because he is used to coming from a business and political entertainment standpoint, and now whatever you are going to say -- hold on just for a second, and we have to take a break and we'll be right back. nice work brother dominic. now we just need 500 more... translated into 35 languages, personalized oh and shared across the 7 continents. (other languages spoken) look abbot, i got it. it's a miracle. ♪ and you're talking to youro doctor about your medication...
3:11 am
this is humira. this is humira helping to relieve my pain and protect my joints from further damage. this is humira helping me go further. humira works for many adults. it targets and helps to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to ra symptoms. humira has been clinically studied for over 18 years. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b, are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ready for a new chapter? talk to your rheumatologist. this is humira at work.
3:12 am
let's bring back in our panel right now, athenna jones and mark preston, and maria
3:13 am
cardona, and i want to start with something that has been over shadowed that the president discussed yesterday, and this is him talking about iraq and the oil, specifically. >> the old expression to the victor belongs the spoils. you remember i always used to say, keep the oil. i was not a fan of iraq and didn't want to go into iraq, but i will tell you, when we were in, we got out wrong. i always said in addition to that, keep the oil. i said it for economic reasons, but if you think about it, mike, if you kept the oil you probably would not have isis because that's where they made their money in the first place, so we should have kept the oil, but, okay, maybe we will have another chance. the fact is, we should have kept the oil. >> so paris, there's a difference between saying we should have kept the oil as a candidate, and as, now, the president saying maybe we will have another chance, do you expect that's something he will go after and have support in the
3:14 am
building behind us? >> this is a president that likes everything on the table. i have heard people say -- >> even stealing another country's oil? >> i wouldn't say stealing. what are the options the american people have in terms of revenue and retrieving revenue? just like the wall with mexico, is it mexico is going to pay for it now or reimburse us? >> neither. >> well, it's going to happen. he's going to put the options on the table and get the best solution at the end of the day, and what you saw there was his example of thinking out loud, obviously, and also putting things on the table and saying i don't know what we are going to do, but he has people around him that are going to present these to him and he will give the right decision. >> and i need to saeurbgs that's a message that will resonate well in middle america and resonate to those that voted for him, and it's a simple message, we go in and liberate iraq and -- okay, we are going to
3:15 am
take the oil back, right? but it doesn't work that way and it's against the idea of democracy building that the united states is in, however that message that we talked about in the early segment, that's what plays well with people even though physically as far as politically, the united states can't keep the oil. >> but can we define something here. we keep talking about the people, and paris and i just talked about this, and he said something that i think is true but in context. paris said that donald trump understands the people. yes, he understands the people who supported him during the campaign which is the minority of the american people, and that right there is his problem. he has yet to understand that if he is going to be a successful president of the united states, he has got to understand that he has got to be president of all of the united states, including the 600,000 people that showed
3:16 am
up yesterday in washington, d.c. alone and millions around the country who are not supporting him, who are angry at him and who they have yet to hear that he's going to do something to try and unify the country. >> go ahead, jeffrey. >> back in 1983, you knew i would go here -- >> yes, we did. >> let's all drink. >> a million people showed up to protest ronald reagan on nukes, and they were all here, good people and decent people, furious at ronald reagan, and i went back and took a look, and he questioned their pay trutism and judgment and he had no time for them, and i am suggesting, when you are a president and you got this kind of thing that is fairly common these days -- >> and has been since i was a child of the '60s. >> presidents in the opposition, nixon, reagan and trump are not
3:17 am
bound to go out there and say my hand is out to you, because it's going to be rejected and they know that, and politically speaking and in those other two cases, when these kind of demonstrations -- i was in one in 1970, and what happens is it back fires eventually and the american people take the president's side. so politically speaking -- i am all for the protest, and god bless democracy, that's a good thing, but the political affect of this is the reverse of what is intended. when the american people look at their television screens and see all these hollywood actors and all this kind of thing, and you know -- >> but they were not just seeing those, they were seeing people in paris, and they were seeing people across the world, and this was in antarctica? >> he sticks to his message.
3:18 am
>> he spent two segments talking about trump versus the media at the cia. that's what he wanted to happen and that's what we are doing. that's part of his strategy. >> he is deflecting but it doesn't deflect from the policy that has to be discussed moving forward. >> this same war on media is the same media that gave him a free $3 million that gave him the campaign. he's got to stop giving kapcampn messages and giving presidential messages, and saying he will take the oil back in iran, that has long-term ramifications because the world is listening, and he has to reach out to the $600,000, and he lost by 3 million votes. >> he did win.
3:19 am
>> not the popular vote. >> that system for clinton and obama is the system for trump, he won and that's the system. >> moving forward, let's talk about russia, and we will take a quick break and be back in a moment.
3:20 am
3:21 am
3:22 am
on friday and talking to him on friday, and there will many issues to talk about, because the relationship between the uk and the u.s. has been strong for years, and we will talk about some of the world's challenges we all face, issues like defeating terrorism, and the conflict in syria. >> the prime minister there talking about what may be on the agenda with her first conversation with the now president trump. right now the pageantry is over and it's back to business for president trump. >> on the agenda, of course, that meeting with the british prime minister. our panel is back with us, and mark, i want to start with you. the prime minister mentioned the special relationship and it
3:23 am
comes at a time when the uk is going through prebbrexit. >> yeah. it will be interesting. it will be interesting to see what he says after the meeting, and he will meet with other world leaders, and meeting with the mexican president, we are told as well, and we will see what the discussion is on the wall and how mexico is or is not going to pay for it, and we are talking about the war on terror, and that's our greatest threat as we move forward under the trump administration, in what role will our allies play as we try to do so. if you listen to his speech, his inauguration speech, we were just talking about this on the break, and he went after the republicans and democrats and he
3:24 am
went after our enemies and allies saying there's a whole new world order come into place, and here in the united states, we are going to look at everything. >> the world was watching the speech, and i want to bring in something that was talked about from russia, and he said trump said the destruction of isil is a main priority, and this is a tweet, and he said to solve the problem, he will need russia. what does he do? paris with russia? >> i think this is all part of trump's strategy. when he returned the winston churchill bust and it's simple messaging, and it's to our greatest ally, i'm with you. and this relationship and the way he has been messaging about putin is because he understands that he is going to go into the presidency the first 100 days
3:25 am
having a positive respectful relationship with russia, with israel, and with prime minister may, and so these are things he is doing on purpose because he wants to show the past administration did not have the strong relationships or the respect of the world community like i have. so going into the first 100 days and talking about this, russia will be a key supporter, and watch what is going to happen, and watch russia become one of our best allies, and i promise that will happen. >> in every administration, at least for a couple decades there's a literal and figuratively re-start button. >> he's walk into it with the hacking, and sanctions, and -- >> they have been doing this for years. for years. doesn't make it okay, but what is okay is we have world leaders that respect this president, and who are showing him the respect, and -- >> i think you have world leaders that are scared about
3:26 am
what this president is going to do because he is dissing our allies, and -- he's talking about putting nuclear weapons back on the world stage and starting another nuclear arms race. they are terrified, but maybe that's exactly what donald trump wants. >> they were terrified of ronald reagan, too, and why were relations so terrible? we had the russian reset. the big plastic button. >> that's apparently what donald trump wants to do. but to your point he comes into this under a cloud and there are allegations -- i don't think they are allegations anymore that russia hacked this election, and did it to be able to boost donald trump and help him win, but there are now -- there's an active investigation from the department of justice inspector general into possible collusion between the donald trump campaign and that the russian government. >> that's nonsense. >> let's see what happens there,
3:27 am
because the american people still had a lot of questions about what happened during the campaign, and the win that donald trump -- >> it's a win. >> let me talk about another issue, and we can talk about russia all day, but i want to get to iran, because there's going to be a conversation between trump and netanyahu about iran, and is the u.s. out of the nuclear deal in the next 100 days? >> i don't think the future is good for it. there are a lot of people and donald trump was one of them that thought it was one of the worst deals imaginable and we are dealing with people that don't tell the truth and their object here is to destroy israel, among other things. wipe it off the face of the earth. why we were playing footsie with these people, and that's what is
3:28 am
playing out here, and he's going to be tough, without doubt. >> what is footsie, though, when you stop the nuclear proliferation program -- >> we have stopped it. >> the money, before you bring up the money, the money that went back was owed to them for several years and stuff, so what -- the part of the iran deal, what don't you like because israel doesn't like it? >> well, you get rid of the deal, right, and they start their program again unchecked and that's more dangerous than anything. >> we have to take a quick break. health care up next. and togethe, you had the kid of your dreams. now you can put them in the car of your dreams... for a lot less than you might think. with a certified pre-owned mercedes-benz, you can enjoy legendary safety, innovation and performance at a price you can afford. and that's a pretty sweet dream.
3:29 am
visit the certified pre-owned sales event, now through february 28th. only at your authorized dealer. mercedes-benz. the best or nothing. featuring a comfortable sleek fit. as a dancer, i've learned you can't have any doubts. because looking good on stage is one thing. but real confidence comes from feeling good out there. get a free sample at depend.com. hey! we're doing the wave! all taking off with me!baby.
3:30 am
for 42 minutes he's been trying to bring an entire stadium to its feet. you missed it buddy. (rich) why does he do it? for glory? notoriety? we don't know. waaaaave! frankly, we don't need to know. but much like this hero, courtyard is all about the game. taking off with me! one, two, three! waaaaave-- there's my guy! yes. snacks? yeah, man, eat it up and we're gonna burn it off doing the wave! it's my decision ito make beauty last.
3:31 am
roc® retinol, started visibly reducing my fine lines and wrinkles in one week. and the longer i use it, the better it works. retinol correxion® from roc. methods, not miracles.™ 30 minutes past the hour on a sunday, and we're live with you from d.c. i am christi paul. >> i am victor blackwell and good morning to you. let's talk about health care now and obamacare is on the minds of a lot of people and what is going to happen to it, and we know donald trump signed an executive order to start repealing obamacare. >> they had the executive order and the first one he signed is him trying to show he is complying with his promise to act on obamacare, and it doesn't dismantle the law, and congress is hard at work on doing that, but it directs agencies to interpret the law's provisions and regulations as loosely
3:32 am
allowed to minimize the financial burden on health care providers and insurers and that means they can waive or delay some of the provisions if they decide it has a financial impact, and one that could impact is the penalty that people are charged if they don't buy insurance, and it's the president's way of showing he is trying to stick to his promise to take action on this. >> we have not seen the president's plan put forward or a consensus plan out of the hill, but i wonder, jeffrey, at least rhetorically, there's discrepancy. >> seven years in, repeal or replace, and what is the replacement? >> this was a mess from the get go. something like 16 to 19 million
3:33 am
people lost their health insurance, the promise if you want your doctor and you like your doctor you can keep it was factually not true. and this is going to have be reversed, and this is a mess, and this was the first place to start and the mandate was unpopular, and people were furious about this and they were sabotaging in in their own fashion, saying i will take the penalty because it's cheaper to take the penalty than paying the insurance, and they will have to unravel this. there's no question, he's an executive and stays focused and this was job one in terms of symbolism and a practical affect and now they are moving on to the rest of it. >> what about those depending on obamacare, and if not for obamacare i would not be standing here. >> i have to think we have to
3:34 am
remember, president trump is not the type of president trump is not going to dismantle the program and leave people to die, and speaker ryan and a lot of republicans understand there are provisions in obamacare that are good, and the pre-existing conditions, that's a good thing. in the consensus plan from the hill, it's not going to get rid of that. despite common, you know, thinking, common thought, they are not that dumb. there are going to be things that will appeal to democrats and those that will depend on this piece of health care. >> in order to pay for those, don't you have to keep the parts that people don't like? >> here is the pickle republicans are in. what he did with his executive order on obamacare, actually he does start to dismantle this, and what is interesting, he will break it and then own it, and then what republicans are
3:35 am
struggling with on the hill and i agree with jeffrey, it's going to be a mess, because they want to keep all the great stuff, but what they haven't grappled yet or maybe they have and aren't admitting it, since it's seven years and they are not able to come up with a consensus plan that is as good as obamacare, in order to cover everybody with pre-existing conditions and to cover everybody that wants but can't have insurance which is why obamacare was made in the first place is you have to have a pool of healthy people to go into it paying the premiums or penalty in order to pay for the pre-existing conditions, so if they can come up with a plan that covers at least as many people if not more with the kinds of premiums that we have or lower, i will be the first one to be dancing in the streets to say yay trump and republicans. >> save that tape. >> yeah. >> do we know there's a timeline
3:36 am
to where we will see some of the proposals? >> speaker ryan was in the town hall here on cnn a week or so ago and said we hope to get it done in the first 100 days. here's the situation. is the health care legislation going to be driven out of the white house or driven out of capitol hill? i suspect it will be driven out of capitol hill because they understand how to legislation. if you talk to the republicans, they will say they have not been able to come up with anything yet, but to the point as our viewers are wondering, what are they going to come up with, there's no firm idea of what it's going to be, and what republicans are going to try and do is do a piecemeal approach. >> that's super dangerous. what is troubling about all of this is not the seven years and there's no consensus plan, but they started the dismantle before they have a plan, and
3:37 am
that's troubling because as you dismantle and dismantle and dismantle, and the time for getting a new plan in place, the time is running, and what happens to those on obamacare, they get dismantled as well, and this is dangerous to stay with the cart before the horse. >> we will take a break and then we will talk about immigration coming up next. little dakota's nose was quivering in fear. because it knew an ordinary tissue was near. the fiery tissue left her nose sore and red. so dad slayed the problem with puffs plus lotion, instead. puffs have pillowy softness for dakota's tender nose. with lotion to comfort and soothe when she blows. don't get burned by ordinary tissues. a nose in need deserves puffs, indeed. now get puffs plus lotion in the squeezable softpack.
3:38 am
3:39 am
3:40 am
my first day in office i am going to notify law enforcement authorities that all of the bad dudes -- and we have a lot of them -- that are here illegally, that are the heads of gangs and drug cartels and all sorts of people, and there are probably millions of them but certainly hundreds of thousands, big numbers, they are out. first hour of my -- the first document i will sign will say get the bad ones out of this
3:41 am
country, and bring them back to where they came from. >> it's going to be a very busy first day. i am going to instruct the department of state to immediately suspend the syrian refugee resettlement program. >> let's talk immigration now, and bring back our panel. first hour, first day, first document, immigration. we are past the first hour and past the first day and document and he has not signed anything about immigration. what is going on? >> he will get there. this is his major promise, one of them, at least, and i have no doubt he will get there with the wall and everything else. these things are important. he understands that. this is a guy -- i keep saying this, and most of the presidents we have had, with a few exceptions, were career
3:42 am
politicians. this hill was filled with career politicians, and this is executives that gets things done. >> do you glean anything from that not having been the first document? >> not really, because i agree with jeffrey on this, and i do think he will move forward on this, and in fact he was talking to -- i think it was the "los angeles times" in the last couple of days where he talked about apparently wanting to do something for the dreamers, but has not really done anything yet, but yet going after all of the criminal undocumented immigrants that are here which he talked about on the tape, and the problem with that, victor, i do think he will repeal the deferred arrivals for childhood arrival arrivals, and he has pledged to do so and as soon as he does that, the 1.5 million dreamers that are here in the united
3:43 am
states will be essentially up for deportation. what he has also said is he will start workplace raids. he has said that on the record, and he said that the reason he is going to do that is to go after the criminal aliens that are here, and the criminal undocumented workers that are here, and the problem with the number he is using is there are not millions of criminal undocumented immigrants here, and that's 800,000 -- >> that's 800,000 too many. >> i agree with you completely. >> and president obama has had that as a priority from the moment he walked into the white house, so that's not a change from what the obama administration did. in fact, you remember, he was called de-porter in chief during the 2012 election because he was de poeportable so many people. what is the plan to protect the dreamers and the workplace raids
3:44 am
and what he described looked like deportation forces that he talked about in the campaign. >> you mentioned daca, and then paul ryan said that's not going to happen. there's a divide here amongst the party and president, and how does he reconcile that? if you talk about daca, now you have people living in fear in this country. >> it's going to be an interesting first couple of 100 days, but also, to jeffrey's point, he's a businessman that wants to get a deal. i said from the beginning he is going to upset republicans and upset democrats because at the end of the day, he's going to cut a day that he feels is best for the american people. >> do you think he is deflatable on daca? >> i think this president is open to all things, and at the end of the day he will make the best decision for the american people but is open for all types
3:45 am
of different things. >> and one woman who was prot t protected by dhaka, and she said am i part of your america? he said yes. >> he said we hope your future is here. i went to a protest scheduled -- it was staged a week before the inauguration festivities and there were a lot of immigrant activist talking about how we are here to stay and we are going to fight president trump's efforts to deport millions of people, and these are people saying they are waking up in fear, and worried they should not maybe leave the house or go to school, and we are talking about these young children brought in by their parents to the country and were protected
3:46 am
under dhaka, and there's fear but also defiance. and i heard the word resistance over and over again, and unity, and they talked about how they were going to provide safe spaces if these young children or people are told to leave the country, and these groups are looking for ways to shield them. >> and these are sanctuary cities. >> his problem will be congress, because over 600 elected officials are there and grappled with the immigration plan for several years and have not got a deal done. donald trump not being a politician, this may be a problem for him because this is going to be the ultimate deal, and there are more skilled politicians on that hill than he is. we will have to see. the other thing is, remember, these are immigrants, and they are in states that are going to have elections and states where many of them are voting, and not the illegal immigrants and that's going to be on the minds of congress and senators as
3:47 am
well. we have not talked about paying for the wall yet. >> mexico is going to pay for it. >> mexico is not going to pay for the wall, they said it several times, and they unfunded the wall or fence already, and they have been unfunding that for ten years, and how is he going to get mexico, and even taxing them under the patriot act, it's illegal. >> let's play sound 11 from trump's inaugural speech here, please. >> we will seek friendship and goodwill with the nations of the world, but we do so with the understanding that it is the right of all nations to put their own interests first. we do not seek to impose our way of life on anyone, but rather to let it shine as an example, we will shine for every one to follow. >> that sounded like a
3:48 am
contradiction. we will not impose our views, but you are going to pay for this wall. >> when i heard the speech i thought of two things. i thought it had a very big populist message in it but it had a collision of nationalism as well, and to your point, too, i think that donald trump, when he was delivering that, he was really delivering a message, and i think all of us here believe donald trump says what he believes -- >> at the moment he says it, at least. >> on twitter. >> whether he is going to be successful or not remains to be seen, and one more thing, he says we are not going to impose our values on people, and when i thought about that, i thought about democracy building, and is he saying we are not going to go out and continue to spread democracy throughout the world because in the end, that is the role of the united states, whether we like that or not. >> i think what he is saying, he's sending a message that the
3:49 am
neo-conservatives approach that we are just going to run around the world, and here's the difference, mark, between being an inspiration to countries and sending in troops and saying, by god, we are going to rebuild your country. >> or take your oil. >> in some cases, that's required that the united states has to take a leadership role. i don't want to send our young men and women overseas, absolutely not, but the bottom line is, people look to the united states for inspiration. >> one said we are going to lift it up and up and up until it becomes like kansas city. >> when some people say democracy building and others here nation building, which others are against. >> we have to wrap it here. thank you, everybody. >> good night, john boy. >> good morning.
3:50 am
>> we're back in just a moment. >> a quick break. tomorrow's the day we'll play something besides video games. every day is a gift. especially for people with heart failure. but today there's entresto... a breakthrough medicine that can help make more tomorrows possible. tomorrow, i want to see teddy bait his first hook. in the largest heart failure study ever, entresto was proven to help more people stay alive and out of the hospital than a leading heart failure medicine. women who are pregnant must not take entresto. it can cause harm or death to an unborn baby. don't take entresto with an ace inhibitor or aliskiren. if you've had angioedema while taking an ace or arb medicine, don't take entresto. the most serious side effects are angioedema, low blood pressure, kidney problems, or high potassium in your blood. tomorrow, i'm gonna step out with my favorite girl. ask your doctor about entresto.
3:51 am
and help make the gift of tomorrow possible. and i finally found our big idaho potato truck. it's been touring the country telling folks about our heart healthy idaho potatoes, america's favorite potatoes, and donating to local charities along the way. but now it's finally back home where it belongs. aw man. hey, wait up. where you goin'? here we go again.
3:52 am
3:53 am
israel prime minister netanyahu will be calling president trump today and it's likely they will talk about the iran nuclear deal and the two share the belief the deal is a bad one. >> donald trump will soon be hearing about another world leader who is showing support, and the british prime minister set to visit with president trump this week. >> yes, i should be meeting him on friday and talking to him on friday, and there will be many issues for us to talk about, because obviously the special relationship between the uk and the u.s. has been strong for many years and we will have opportunities to talk about our future trading relationship and some of the world's challenges we face, issues like defeating terrorism, and the conflict in syria. >> we should point out, russia also scheduled its time with
3:54 am
president trump, of course, and the kremlin's spokesman says putin will be calling president trump in the coming days. let's go to jill doherty who is in moscow. what are you learning about that and how is this playing out in russia? >> they are not saying precisely when he will call but they are saying there will be a call pretty soon because after all, that's part of diplomacy and protocol and they say there will be a meeting between putin and trump and saying a caveat saying it could take several months. an interesting thing this morning on tv, we saw the prime minister talking to a party in congress, and he said essentially he was downplaying the possibility that sanctions would be lifted, and that's one thing, of course, vladimir putin
3:55 am
would apparently hope from president trump, but the prime minister saying it's time to part with the illusions that sanctions will be lifted and apparently they will last long and we should not depend on new foreign heads to change that, and that's an interesting side and we'll have to see how that works out. >> jill, i wonder, and yesterday we saw the millions, a million plus at least, and people around the world demonstrating, and how did that play in moscow? how was it being broadcast there? >> you know, it depended. in the beginning there was a lot of emphasis, i'd have to say, on the violent demonstrations. quite a lot of attention paid to that. and then when the women's march came in they initially did not
3:56 am
pay quite as much attention, but this morning on the news, a lot of coverage of that, i would say, it was covered pretty objectively for the most part, but there's an under tone, and i will just give you a little bit of that. there's a member of parliament, and we quoted him quite a lot and he tweets a lot, and he was mentioning madonna who is well known in russia, not for good reasons particularly, and he said the dephaupbicily possessed madonna is not with trump, and said those that declared war on trump a long time ago -- i think he would have to say the approach is that the american media are really out to get president trump. back to you.
3:57 am
>> all right, jill doherty for us there in moscow. thank you so much. >> thank you, jill, and thank you for sharing part of your morning with us. >> "new day" starts right after a quick break. this is humira helping to relieve my pain and protect my joints from further damage. this is humira helping me go further. humira works for many adults. it targets and helps to block a specific source of inflammation that contributes to ra symptoms. humira has been clinically studied for over 18 years. humira can lower your ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis. serious, sometimes fatal infections and cancers, including lymphoma, have happened, as have blood, liver and nervous system problems, serious allergic reactions, and new or worsening heart failure. before treatment, get tested for tb. tell your doctor if you've been to areas where certain fungal infections are common, and if you've had tb, hepatitis b,
3:58 am
are prone to infections, or have flu-like symptoms or sores. don't start humira if you have an infection. ready for a new chapter? talk to your rheumatologist. this is humira at work. it's your tv, take it with you. with directv and at&t, stream live tv anywhere data-free. join directv today starting at $35 a month. no extra monthly fees.
3:59 am
4:00 am
abdominayou may have ibs. ask your doctor if non-prescription ibgard is right for you. ibgard calms the angry gut. available at cvs, walgreens and riteaid. ♪ >> i have a running war with the media. >> i have never seen a president that unhinged -- >> they are among the most dishonest human beings on earth. >> donald trump is the most effective when he sticks to the script. >> they made it sound like i had a feud with the intelligence

27 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on